Lawmaker Says 22 Bodies Reportedly Recovered After Attacks on Benue Communities
Multiple communities in Ukum Local Government Area of Benue State were attacked early Sunday, leaving residents dead and injured and prompting a fresh security deployment across the affected area.
Federal lawmaker Solomon Wombo said 22 bodies had reportedly been recovered, but also said the exact casualty figure was still being established.
The number is therefore not a final or independently confirmed death toll.
The attacks affected communities in Mbazun Ward, including Mbaterem, Ayaba, Ikpur, Yina, Aboajio and Ukpen, according to accounts from local officials and the lawmaker representing Katsina-Ala/Ukum/Logo Federal Constituency.
Local Chairman Visits Affected Communities
Ukum Local Government Chairman Jonathan Modi visited communities affected by the attacks and hospitals where injured residents were receiving treatment.
According to the local government account, he also provided support toward medical bills.
Modi said security personnel had been deployed to vulnerable areas.
He credited the Nigerian Army with mobilising to the affected communities and said the intervention helped prevent further escalation.
That remains the chairmanโs assessment of the response.
22 Bodies Reportedly Recovered, Lawmaker Says
Wombo said casualty verification was still underway.
He said 22 bodies had reportedly been recovered as of Sunday.
The figure remains provisional.
No final casualty record from police, the military or another authoritative incident register was established in the material reviewed by IDNN.
The total number of injured residents also remains unclear.
Perpetrator Identity Not Established
The available reporting does not independently establish who carried out the attacks.
Any stronger description of the attackers supplied by political, community or local sources must remain attributed.
IDNN therefore refers to them as armed attackers or gunmen unless competent authorities or independent evidence establish responsibility.
That distinction is particularly important in a region where unsupported ethnic or communal attribution can create additional risk.
Rural Communities Face Renewed Security Pressure
The attacks come amid continuing insecurity affecting rural communities in parts of Benue State.
Recent incidents elsewhere in the state have also involved deaths, displacement and disruption of access to farms.
Those earlier cases provide context for the wider security pressure but do not establish that the same perpetrators were responsible for the Ukum attacks.
Residents Face Death, Injury and Fear
For affected communities in Ukum, the immediate consequences extend beyond the unresolved casualty figure.
Residents are confronting deaths, injuries and uncertainty over whether it is safe to remain in their communities, return to farms or resume normal movement.
Wombo called for stronger security across vulnerable communities in the Sankera area and said residents should be able to return to their homes and farms without fear.
That raises the central accountability question: whether security arrangements are preventing attacks or mainly responding after communities have already suffered losses.
What Remains Unresolved
The final number of people killed and injured has not been authoritatively reconciled.
The identity of the attackers has not been independently established.
The full scale of displacement also remains unclear.
For now, the verified account is narrow but serious: multiple Ukum communities were attacked, residents were killed and injured, local authorities and security personnel responded, and a federal lawmaker says 22 bodies had reportedly been recovered while the final casualty figure remains under verification.
