Ungushi Attack: Residents Report 32 Dead in Kebbe LGA, Sokoto

The reported toll from Ungushi remains unconfirmed by police or the military, while authorities acknowledge renewed insecurity around Kebbe LGA.

Residents Report 32 Dead in Ungushi Attack as Sokoto Casualty Picture Deepens

Residents of Ungushi community in Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State say 32 bodies were recovered and buried after armed attackers struck the area in an assault that reportedly began on Friday and continued into Saturday.

The figure has not been independently confirmed by police or the military and remains a resident-reported casualty count.

Ungushi is a distinct community within Kebbe Local Government Area and should not be conflated with Kebbe town, where police had earlier confirmed an attack on Friday, 14 August.

In that earlier Kebbe-town incident, the Sokoto State Police Command said no civilian or police casualties were recorded.

The newer Ungushi account may relate to a later or wider sequence of violence within the same local government area. Available reporting does not yet establish that the two casualty accounts refer to the same location or phase of attack.

Residents Describe Deadly Assault in Ungushi

Daily Nigerian, citing reporting based on resident accounts, said attackers entered Ungushi while worshippers were observing Friday prayers.

One resident said the attackers killed several people, withdrew and later returned.

He said many residents fled their homes as gunfire continued.

According to the same account, residents later returned to search for victims and recovered and buried 32 bodies.

That figure remains unverified by an authoritative security source.

Other Communities Reported Affected

Reports also describe insecurity in other communities around Kebbe Local Government Area.

Residents said some communities experienced displacement, property loss and disruption as people fled for safety.

Poor telecommunications were also reported in some affected areas, making it more difficult for families and residents to establish contact and for casualty information to be reconciled quickly.

Those conditions make a reliable count of deaths, injuries and displaced residents harder to establish.

Earlier Police Account Covered Kebbe Town

The Sokoto State Police Command had earlier confirmed an attack on Kebbe town on 14 August.

Police said security personnel responded and reinforcements were deployed.

The command said no civilian was killed or injured in that incident and reported no police casualties.

That statement remains relevant to the Kebbe-town attack.

It does not, by itself, establish what happened later in Ungushi or other communities in Kebbe Local Government Area.

Army Says Security Measures Have Been Adjusted

The Nigerian Army has since acknowledged renewed insecurity around Ungushi and neighbouring communities and said security arrangements were being adjusted to reduce further infiltration and protect vulnerable areas.

The Army also said troops remained deployed in response to the security situation.

That response supports the seriousness of the threat facing communities in the area.

It does not independently confirm the resident-reported figure of 32 deaths.

What Remains Unresolved

The central unresolved question is the casualty toll.

Police or military authorities have not yet publicly confirmed the 32 deaths reported by residents.

The full scale of displacement also remains unclear.

Other claims about attacker losses and air operations remain unverified and should not be treated as established facts.

For residents around Ungushi and Kebbe, however, the consequences are already serious: communities are reporting deaths, displacement, property loss and continuing fear.

The accountability test now is whether authorities can produce a reconciled casualty record, establish which communities were attacked and when, and explain what protection is being put in place to prevent another incursion.

Independent Digital News Network

Related posts

Benue Attacks: Lawmaker Says 22 Bodies Reportedly Recovered in Ukum

NFF Opens Probe Into Nigeria Football Failures After Super Falcons’ Historic World Cup Miss

Osogbo: Police Investigate Death of Unidentified Woman Found on Church Premises

This website uses cookies to improve User experience. Learn More